Tuesday, August 4, 2009

I was looking for Noah's Arc

As many of you have probably heard by now, Louisville got a little rain today. By little, we're talking 6 inches in 1.5 hours. Yeah, we got some rain! I'm pretty sure I left my house about 30 minutes into this mess. My drive to work was stressful to say the least!


At about 8:15 I was getting ready to walk out of the house to head to work. About that time the weather man said downtown was getting ready to get hit with a severe storm carrying hail. I decided I would wait out the hail part of the storm in the safety and comfort of my living room! Little did I know, the hail would be the least of my problems today.


I decided to leave my house at 9:00 thinking I had surely missed the worst. On the interstate about half way to downtown, it started raining much harder. The right lane was even beginning to get covered with water. At this point I went from stressed to a little scared! If the interstate is getting covered, who knows what is going on downtown. At this point I called my husband, who was already downtown, only to find that he was stuck in a car at a road blocked with water. That didn't make me feel great! Then I called a co-worker who I was sure could give me a run-down of the roads around my office. He tells me he is stuck in the parking lot of the U of L football stadium. While we were on the phone he had to move his car because even the parking lot was getting flooded! When I got off the phone with him, I didn't feel any more confident about the situation. The radio was saying all kinds of roads were blocked by high water all over downtown. I couldn't really turn around to head back home, as much as I wanted to, so I just kept trucking.


When I got off the interstate, the roads I had to take were probably covered with 3-4 inches of water in the deepest places. Luckily, I never ran into very high water. I made it to my parking garage in one piece, only to find that it was pretty much under water! The water level on the ground floor was probably very near the bottom of my car, but I didn't really have any choice except to keep driving. That part was only a few feet and then it was up, up, up. I had to park on the top of the garage (uncovered). I was sitting in my car, relieved that I made it in one piece. THEN I had to make the trek into the office during pouring rain. Now, faithful blog stalkers, I am one smart cookie, so I thought 'I'll roll up my pants legs to keep them dry!' Seemed like a great idea. When I opened my door and stepped out, I stepped into 5 inches of water! OMG. My rolled up pants got soaking wet in my first step. I got back in and moved my car to a different spot, and then resumed my soggy trip inside. It was pretty uneventful, if you consider walking 2 blocks in 2 inches of rain uneventful.


Eventually the rain stopped and the roads around my office drained very well. I was one of the lucky ones who did not suffer injuries or even damage to my house or car. I will post some pictures I found on WLKY.com. These are not my pictures, but they are all from Louisville during today's storm.YIKES!This is outside the main branch of the public library. I've heard the library had flooding inside and lost a lot of books :(Thank goodness the buses were still running! Louisville bus drivers are brave souls....and this is me walking to work. Kidding! I don't know who this is. The water I walked through was not that deep. I bet they had to throw those soggy shoes away!


PS. The hubby made it safely to his destination this morning and my co-worker waited out the storm in the parking lot. He eventually made it to work safely, too. I just realized I left that out!

4 comments:

  1. I'm glad you made it ok! High water is so scary. My grandmother called me and was like if your car gets covered get out and stand on top of it..!! Really? I can't climb up my car! haha!! I guess FLorence is higher above sea level or something!!! Better luck today if it rains again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you made it there safely! I would have been so scared driving in that!! I'm pretty sure I would have turned around and went home. You are one dedicated worker! They should give you a raise!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you get a raise I want one! Haha. At least we'll both be getting one soon! And I'm pretty sure if I walked outside and saw my car in that much water like in some of those pics I would definitely climb on top of it like Jen's grandmother suggested and just cry my eyes out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't actually see water nearly that high. Some co-workers did, but I didn't. I would LOVE a raise, but I'm sure I won't be getting one... other than the raise for getting off probation and yearly 1%. Yipee! Oh and you can bet I would shimmy on top of my car rather than sit in water like that!

    ReplyDelete